Thursday, March 20, 2008

Resurrection - Breathing New Life Into My Blog and Recounting Michael's First Egg Hunt


I have neglected my blog for no apparent reason other than I haven't made time for it.

In the past few months, Michael has made great, great strides. He's sprouted 6 teeth, and we almost had a white -[capped] New Year's as a result of his budding pearls.

He's perfected the wounded soldier scoot and has become my own human Swiffer. I have had to organize his wardrobe into three tiers: 1) fancy clothes that are for special occasions that rarely get worn; 2) clothes that are nice enough to be worn out in public that will fool others into thinking that we rarely get ourselves dirty; and 3) those that are used for mopping my floors. As he gets more vertical, my floors will suffer in different ways and will probably miss his own brand of TLC that he currently gives them, but I'll look forward to the possibility of fewer unconcealable stains that start at his chin and end at his belly button.

Easter is right around the corner, and in celebration, we participated in Michael's first Easter egg hunt yesterday. At this age (10 1/2 months), it was really much less of a hunt and more of a themed tactile exploration for the pre-walking babies at the celebration where the hunt was held. All of the other pre-walkers that were present were either napping or far less mobile than he giving him an unfair advantage. He was placed in the center of a blue tarp with plastic filled eggs spread about and one golden egg "hidden" among them. The golden egg was a prize egg, and he or she who found it would get a great reward.

Once he was turned loose, he scooted around touching and mouthing an egg here and there before moving on to the more fascinating objects like leaves and sticks. I tried to turn his attention to the eggs, but he paid little mind to them in favor of logs and rocks. Eventually, he caught on as I filled his basket with a few of the eggs. I tried to point him in the direction of the golden egg two or three time, but he wasn't interested. I didn't want to be selfish and thought of letting another baby "find" it.

It was a funny sight to see him scrambling for nature's objects versus the man-made fun plastic objects that were right in front of him. I tried in vain to keep his eye on the prize and eventually succeeded when he wound up with the golden egg in his hand, which he wound up putting into the basket by some fluke of nature. In the end, we were rewarded with an Easter basket filled with stuff for David and me to enjoy. I'll leave it for the Easter Bunny to deliver on Sunday morning, so that Michael can at least play with the stuffed puppy dog that's inside.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

aww so cute, he's grown soooo much!!! <3 yay, thanks for the update :)

Becky said...

Sounds like he had a great time